I have lived in my current home for 4 years. When we first moved here my oldest child was 1. The down stairs bathroom has a pedestal sink and I knew right away that I would need some sort of stool. I searched everywhere for something perfect. I found a ton of stools that would work functionally but, aesthetically they were definitely not winners. My husband being ever so thoughtful decided to bring me home one of those ugly plastic step stools from Walmart and for the past 3 years that is what has adorned my bathroom floor. We currently have 3 little ones and the stool is an absolute necessity...unless I want to hold them each up to wash their hands. My daughter had surgery in November and was not allowed to submerse herself in water so I started using the stool upstairs for bath time. This left me with no stool in my downstairs bathroom. Heaven forbid I carry the plastic stool up and down the stairs every day. lol I started noticing tiny hand prints appearing on the surfaces of many items. I had to get another stool. I couldn't take it any longer. Stuck somewhere between my needs and desires I just couldn't settle on another one of those ugly plastic stools. On second thought, I couldn't fathom the cost of what I wanted...So, the other day I was perusing the dollar spot at Target and I found this.
Totally and completely ugly but, $1. Being the person that I am I thought, I think I can make this work so, I bought it.
I came straight home, wasted no time, got out my husbands drill and drilled 5 holes in the top.
I wasn't sure how that would work especially when I looked at the under side but, it worked perfectly fine.
Then I took a package of the "make your own fabric buttons" and made 5 fabric covered buttons.
Next, I placed my ugly aqua stool on top of my fabric and traced around it. I decided that I just wanted rectangle and didn't want to mess with the notches in the corners that the actual stool had so I just cut out a rectangle. I gave myself 1/2" seam allowance on all sides.
I also measured from the top of the stool to the floor and added 2 inches for seam allowance. I made a long strip of fabric that was that width and around twice as long as all 4 sides, of my first rectangle that I cut, added together.
I took the long strip and double roll hemmed one of the long sides about 1/4" in size and ruffled it along the other long side using a long loose basting stitch and just pulling one of the strings to create the gathers. Then I pinned the 2 raw edges together, all the way around the rectangle, with the good sides of the fabric facing each other.
Once I had pinned all four sides, I stitched it in place all the way around.
Then I took some fabric glue and squeezed it all over the top of the stool. (tip: remove cap before gluing...lol)
I took a couple layers of batting and laid them on top of the glue.
Then I flipped the stool over to tuft it.
I just used some random buttons underneath since it wouldn't be visible. I attached the button to a piece of embroidery floss and used an upholstery needle to sew the buttons on.
I started in the center of the stool. The random button attached to your floss will keep your string from just pulling through the drilled hole when you are tufting.
Lace the fabric button onto your needle on top after starting from the underside of the stool.
Then pull your needle back down the drilled hole to tie it off underneath. Make sure you tie it tight and securely, using the random button underneath to keep it from slipping through. Once all of the buttons are in place, you are finished!
Chic, cheap and easy! Yep, that pretty much sums it all up!!