FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Classy Drapes - 4 simple steps!


I found this chic fabric and couldn't wait to use it in my bedroom! I only got two yards and then when I got home had serious regrets for not buying more as I poured over pictures of different drapes that I would love to have. I finally got over my frustration and decided to just make it work with what I had. And you know what? I absolutely love them!
Here are the steps for making these simple, elegant, and inexpensive drapes!

I used exactly 1 yard of each fabric per window. Choose two coordinating fabrics. Iron them and place them on top of each other, right sides together.

I lucked out and didn't have to trim my fabrics at all. I wanted my drapes to overlap the edges of the window by roughly 2 inches on each side and I left 1/2" seam allowance. It worked out perfectly!

Pin the fabrics together along the sides and bottom. Leave the top open.


Flip the curtain right side out and iron. I ironed especially well along
the edges because I didn't want to top stitch.


Fold the top edge of the fabric down about 1/2". As you can see, my fabrics weren't exactly the same size. I will be folding the fabric down again so the raw area will be covered. You'll see....

Fold the top edge down about about 1 to 1 1/2", depending on the size of your rod. Sew along the bottom edge to make the rod casing.
Guess what?
You are done!
Hang up your curtains and use ribbons to tie them up. I used 2 ribbons, 1 yard in length per ribbon for each window. Don't forget to finish the ends of your ribbon. I loved the satin fabric backing that I used almost as much as my floral pattern so I flipped the fabric up a bit when I tied them back so you could see a little more of the accenting fabric.
Be creative and enjoy!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Very pretty!

Hi I’m Meg from Swiss Kin. You have been awarded the “Versatile” Blog award!
Please know it is because of the Inspiration your blog gives to me and others.

Check it out @ http://www.swiss-kin.blogspot.com
(Please note the rules of the award as they were given to me)

Related Posts with Thumbnails